I’ve been a bit quiet recently, so here’s what’s new…
- I’ve resigned from my job as bar manager. The reason for this is largely related to Covid, but also my Mental Health. More about that later…
- I withdrew from purchasing the flat in the city, and moved all my stuff out of my rented place. Half my stuff’s in storage, the and the rest is in the garage/spare room/brother’s room (soz bro) at my parent’s place, which is where I’m staying for now. They’ve been incredible.
- I’ve been accepted on an MA in Creative Writing, and I am beyond excited.
Usually when I do courses, I can’t wait for the end result, for the qualification, but this time is so different. I want to actually do it.
- I got a puppy!
His name is Alfie, and he is a chocolate Mi-Ki. He’s 6 months old now, and has been such a great focus for me during my recovery. You can check out all his adventures on Insta at @alfie_mikidog, because, yes, I am that person.
- I dyed my hair blue. It’s kind of back green now though.
- I read a lot about spirituality, particularly Buddhism, Paganism, and Wicca. A lot of it really spoke to me. It sounds like I’ve proper lost the plot that I’ve gone off to live in the country and become a Witch, but that’s exactly what I’ve done, and I am so much happier for it. Wicca isn’t all about casting spells and making potions, and it’s definitely not about devil worship (the devil is a Christian concept – duh). It’s about appreciating nature, mindfulness, meditation, self-care, and kindness, so it has tied in really well to my MH recovery.
- I AM DIVORCED!
Took advantage of changing my name too to give myself a cheeky little extra middle name. Check out my new Insta handle for a clue… @misslucyunicorn
- I did some group therapy through the NHS. It pretty much picked up where I left off in hospital, which was really useful. It was all done on Zoom, but I met some of the participants in person when I went to a Peer Support Group in the next town over. That’s on hold cuz Covid, but in the meantime I did some remote training to become a volunteer Peer Support Worker.
- I took my tunnels out of my ears. I just wear earrings now. I really like it!
- I got a car. It’s yellow.
- I quit makeup. My skin is loads clearer since…
- I quit drinking!
This has been the biggest change, and another reason why I’m not going back to my job. I’ll definitely write more about this soon, but in a nutshell, I had quite a problem, and probably did for about 20 years. It was normalised because of my job, and the circles I ran in, but it was so damaging to my mental health. It’s been 7 weeks now. Some days are harder than others, and I’m not sure how Christmas will be, but I know that my brain is much happier for it.
That’s all I can think of for now, but I’ll definitely elaborate on some of the above points soon. Just wanted to give a brief overview for those who I haven’t spoken to recently.
For now, stay safe everyone, and enjoy the festive period as much as is possible for you. xxxx